Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Apples, Apples Everywhere.

Luisa, you rock my world.

After
Deb suggested I try making a baked apple pancake as part of last week's Apple-a-Day Challenge, I prowled around the Internet looking for a good recipe. And kids...this is a good recipe. Easy and delicious. Only problem was, when served as breakfast (not dessert, à la Luisa) at our table, it most definitely did not serve 6. In fact, it's noteworthy that Mr. Apron Strings and I each got half.

Serve it up as breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert,
whatever. I promise, the smell in your home will be heavenly, and you'll certainly want go back for leftovers...if there are any.

Baked Apple Pancake

Serves 6
(debatable)
From The Best American Recipes (2002-03) by way of The Wednesday Chef


5 tablespoons butter, melted, divided

3 eggs, lightly beaten

3/4 cup milk

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour

2 small apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced

3 tablespoons brown sugar, lightly packed

3 tablespoons powdered sugar


Heat the oven to 450°. Combine 2 tablespoons of melted butter with the eggs, milk, granulated sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and flour. Mix the batter by hand or in a food processor. Set aside.
Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter with the apple slices in a 10-inch oven-proof skillet until the apples are sizzling and slightly cooked. Pour in the batter. Sprinkle the top with brown sugar and bake until well browned and puffed, 20 to 25 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.

2 comments:

Candice said...

I hope you don't mind me linking to you from cjane, I also hope this is the first time I am contacting you, it is hard to keep track! I am trying to let people know about threads of love, a nie project I am starting, check it out at www.quilt4nie.blogspot.com or on her benefit blog. Thanks! Love, Candice

Bayjb said...

Oh my gosh those look amazing! I've never had apple pancakes before but I love cooked apples so I'll keep that in mind!

Umm I have a random question for you too, if you have a moment, could you e-mail me and I can ask offline :)